If you’re looking for something to watch during this #Stayathome season, I wouldn’t be able to recommend Parks and Rec enough. Though I only watched it for the first time last year (shock, horror!), it is now officially one of my all time favourite TV shows! The characters, humor and drama are absolutely genius, and it is one of those shows I’ll never tire of watching repeatedly. One episode I enjoyed immensely was season 4 episode 4, unofficially dubbed the ‘Treat yo self‘ episode, as two characters celebrate this day; a day of self love and the limitless act of lavishing oneself with gifts and treats.
Last night as I felt deserving of decadence, I inadvertently created an amazing batch of chocolate cupcakes. Believe it or not, I set out to make banana bread. I found this recipe and although I had no bread tin, I was happy that the author suggested making them into muffins. Genius! And so I got out my trusty tin, and gathered all the ingredients, except the bananas. Silly me.
I was sure they would be perfect, as last weekend I noticed they were ripening. But alas, by yesterday they were way beyond their best by date, and by the time I realised this, I was already halfway through the recipe. It was a heart sinking feeling, and I was debating on stuffing the mix in my fridge and going to bed. But thankfully, my eyes settled on my good old faithful cocoa tin. Figuring I had nothing much to lose, I threw some of it in the mix, along with some chocolate sprinkles (don’t ask), and some precious pieces of Bournville chocolate, a difficult but necessary sacrifice from my emergency stash, et voila!
The outcome far exceeded my expectations, and so I knew the least I could do for you my dear friends would be to share the simple, slightly adjusted recipe to these gorgeous goodies.
Ingredients (makes 9 large, or 12 small cupcakes)
5 tablespoons Buttercup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups household flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp chocolate sprinkles
6 blocks of Bournville chocolate, chopped.
Or, chocolate chips if you’re bougie like that.
- Preheat the oven and place cupcake cases into a muffin tin
- Melt the margarine in a pan on low heat
- Add the butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix until completely combined
- Crack the eggs into the bowl one at a time and mix until smooth
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix into the batter
- Realise you have rubbish bananas and panic a little
- Realise you have cocoa and add that instead. Mix well. Thank Jesus.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Gently stir until all ingredients are well combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate ‘chips’
- Spoon mixture evenly into cases and place in the oven
- Get restless due to the mouth-watering aroma that comes wafting over to where you’re waiting impatiently
- Bake for 20 minutes or until you stick a fork in and it comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes
- Tune into Parks and Rec, make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy whilst they’re warm 🙂
Treating yourself is a nice way of saying to you, well done…you’re doing amazing! Even if you’ve got a tight work or workout schedule, be deliberate about having a moment for yourself, and if you have the luxury, consider making
cheat treat days a priority.
Had a long day at work? Treat Yo’self!
Have to stay at home? Treat Yo’self!
Kids being chaotic? Treat Yo’self!
Consistently worked out for 7 days straight? TREAT. YO. SELF!
Please let me know if you do try it!
I love you like a warm cup of masala tea my darlings!